Friday, May 7, 2010


One of the photographers I chose is Anita Andrzejewska. I discovered her work from the website Mindy sent us. Her work is pretty versatile, she photographs people and landscapes. What drew me to her work was her use of lighting and that she uses black and white film for these pictures. It does give me hope when I see professional photographers using film because that is also my passion. The picture I included has a very old feeling to it, and not only because it's in black and white, but it has such grace and elegance. I love her style of taking portraits, because she doesn't always include the subject's face, like in the picture here. I love the wide range of tones in her pictures, and the subtle hint of highlight on her lower face and neck and how the fabric fades into darkness. In some of her other portraits that she takes of different women I get a sense of the sensuality from these women that Anita is purposefully trying to capture. It is interesting to see the contrast of her photographs and her animations that she does for children and graphic design. Her animations are a lot more contemporary, as opposed to her photographs which look like they were taken over fifty years ago. To me black and white photography is very important, and I feel that film is the only way you can get such beauty with the range of tones, and the graininess that film is known for. I really admire her for sticking with film, she even has her own darkroom where she does the printing, and I would really love to these images in person some day.

No comments:

Post a Comment