Saturday, May 8, 2010

Gregory Crewdson



Gregory Crewdson's work has always fascinated me, I had even tried to echo his work with a high school photo project, but needless to say it did not work out how I envisioned it. The way he sets up his photographs is the same way a director would go to set up his movie stage. He is meticulous in setting up his picture, with the way everything is placed and the lighting must be perfect. It takes him about a month to do one photograph. In an interview who talked about how museum dioramas interested him, and how he was struck by the still image and the limitations of the photograph. The last part is what I would say draws all photographers to making their art by conveying a message through one moment. What I get from Crewdson's images is a horror movie like feeling, as well as the unknown. His photographs raise more questions than answers, which I think is key to his work. He also creates his own world , which I thought was appropriate for our last project, but I don't think I would ever want to be in his world. It seems that all of his subjects have the same expressions on their faces, it's almost like they are not truly existing as if they are already dead. Both pictures on the top have a couple in them, the one on the right you can only see the woman and just the man's back. In the image on the left you can see both the woman and man. What's interesting is that all of these people's faces are looking down and away from anything that is in the room, as if they are in their own world.

No comments:

Post a Comment