Thursday, May 6, 2010

George Eastman Show at State Museum





I went to the State Museum and saw the George Eastman show. I thought that the George Eastman House Collection was amazing!! So many big names and such a diverse collection it was breath-taking. I do wish they had a few more modern photographers such as Nan Goldin, Sally Mann, or Gregory Crewdson. I really enjoyed the Edward Curtis pieces at the show. I think his re-creations of Native America life are a beautiful portrayal and exquisite way to pay tribute to the Native Americans. Seeing his photographs up close was so much more powerful then seeing them on a computer screen. Esipermi-Comanche was a beautiful portrait of a Native American man. It gives me an overwhelming seen of serenity but at the same time makes me feel guilty for what the European settlers or “our” ancestors did to this lovely people. It was also great to see another one of my favorites Margaret Bourke White there. Margaret has such an eye for framing, geometry, lines, and point of view. I really enjoy her fascination of industrious things and the way she captures them. I also like Bourke White because of her ability to be very versatile as a photographer. There was a good example in the exhibit of her versatility via the photograph entitled At the time of the Louisville Flood. The picture not only depicts irony and a political stance but also is nicely thought out and photographed. Bourke White had a good eye for seeing photographic opportunities. While I saw many of my old favorites such as Robert Frank, Edward Weston, Lewis Hine, Coburn, etc I also found a few “new” favorites. The first one being Lawrence McFarland and his photograph entitled Wheatfield. It was so beautiful and pure but at the same time almost abstract. The movement in the photograph was so rhythmic and brilliant. I also thoroughly enjoyed Paul Caponigro’s image called RTNE 44 Vicinity. The framing was terrific as well as the contrast. I also believe it was a good way to portray the ever modernizing America and the flashy, gaudy things Americans think are great. Another photograph I really enjoyed was Untitled # 2810 by Todd Hido. I thought the light of the trailer was great. Hido romantized a trailer making it looking peaceful and like inside was a nice place to be, safe from the night. The large format really did a lot for the piece as well. I think the show, as a whole was a perfect range of photographers and different photographic styles. I thought it was just great and have already gone back to see it for a second time.

No comments:

Post a Comment