Saturday, May 8, 2010

Frank Dituri





I stumbled upon Frank Dituri on the internet, and was drawn to the irony in his pictures if that's the word I'm looking for. He has numerous different types of images, but the ones I found interesting were his pictures of these women in a church. Now these are not just any run of the mill women going to church to confess there sins, but on the contrary these women seem to be sinning whilst at church. Now the only way I knew they were in church was because of the titles, which are, Kneeling at the Alter and In The Church. As you can see they are very well photographed, and in black and white film which I love. The composition and lighting really add to the surreal quality that his pictures seem to convey. What intrigues me is the message that he is trying to put across, which I can only guess at, like with all art. What is he saying by putting these women in scantily clad clothing or just underwear in a church? Are they confessing their sins by sinning, showing God who they are without apology. It's interesting to look at his work from the 70s and see how he has become so much more abstract in his photography. I enjoy looking a picture and having to stop and really look to see what exactly is being photographed. It's ok not to know what really is going on in the picture, and that's what I think make some of Dituri's images so appealing to me. There was also an image that was a close up of a woman's but, and it's title was The Behind. I'm not gonna lie I had to stop myself from having a laughing fit. I don't know if Dituri's intention was laughter from this picture, but I like when I can see a piece of art and laugh, and not have to take it so seriously.

1 comment:

  1. Some of the work reminds me of Katie's from the portrait project. It invokes the provocative tease, especially the one that mimics a butt. I like that he is not afraid to push the boundaries that many feel probably walks the line in being decent. I am also a big sucker for black and whites when they are done really well. It has great deal and contrast even in the dark areas. This work suggest basically sex but I think that is more because of society's focus on the subject, more then he really wanted us to focus on that. Yes it feels like he wanted to exploit sexuality but he also uses the lines of the body and how it moves.It is the irony of the photos and that shes in a church. He didnt just display straight on a naked individual.

    ReplyDelete