Saturday, May 1, 2010

Cindy Sherman

The work of Cindy Sherman for some reason always reaches out to me and I find myself drawn to her than most of the other artists we have looked at this semester and last. I think this is in large part because of the content of her work. She for the most part plays a different character in every one of her shots. Most of my work over the last year has focused mainly around my fiancé and my best friend and in each project the two of them have played different characters. This in my opinion is one of the strongest factors in her work, she can play all of these different characters and in every single shot portray a different woman, but the women are all the same. That speaks volumes when you think about what it says about each individual person perhaps being 5 or 6 different people all rolled into one fun crazy package. Specifically looking at her photo named untitled 276 we see a very interesting kind of character. Grotesque is the first word that comes to mind when I look at this photograph. This is largely because of the position and posture of the figure combined with her attire. She depicts herself in this shot with tons of make up to make her look very aged along with cloths that are very unflattering and a position that is very unladylike. The shot itself is not very pleasing to the eye and I think that is why I am so drawn to it out of all of her other work. Even though it is not very pleasing to the eye the photo just oozes sex and it is a real portrayal of what a real woman’s body looks like. It makes you really think about what real women are supposed to be like and because of that it is a very successful image.

1 comment:

  1. Out of all the post modern photographers i think that Cindy Sherman is by far my favorite. I am not a person who is too keen on post modernism but i do like Cindy Sherman Her social commentary of stereo typical women's roles are very well-done and very clever. I think that Sherman stages the photographs themselves very well as they appear to be be still shots from a non existing movie. I like that Sherman puts herself into all of her photographs, that is very hard to do. I enjoy that Sherman explores all angles of women's roles in society and photographs each. I think that all of her photographs have an "older" feel to them. I like that Sherman is not only versatile as an artist but also an actor in her images.

    ReplyDelete